5 Natural Bug Repellents for an Insect-Free Summer
Natural bug repellents can help keep away flying, biting and crawling critters so you can get outside this summer without having to worry!
You can make your own bug repellent at home with a few of the right essential oils. Or try one of the great all-natural products from Burt’s Bees, designed to keep bugs away without the harsh chemicals of conventional bug sprays (and the awful smell).
1. Rosemary as a bug repellent can be used as a spray to keep bugs away. Use this essential oil with other essential oils to make an effective natural insect repellant that’s safe for everyone. Try this simple natural bug repellent recipe: Add 1 part of rosemary oil to 10 parts of rubbing alcohol and put it in a spray bottle. You can also add essential oils derived from any of the following herbs, in equal parts. Good for keeping away mosquitoes, ticks, flies, midges, chiggers, and fleas.
2. Mint is a non-toxic alternative for bug repellent as its essential oils are useful in keeping away those flying pests like mosquitoes, and flies. Great for an insect repellant in your home, or yard it works even when placed in a sachet. Mint is a natural bug repellent that’s great for traveling, as the crushed leaves release essential oils that have a scent the bugs don’t like. This can keep them away outdoors, or indoors while freshening your space. Also great as a spray to keep away ants and spiders. Add 1 part of peppermint oil to 5 parts of rubbing alcohol and put it in a spray bottle for a natural alternative to bug spray.
3. Lavender is a favorite essential oil for aromatherapy and as a bug repellent because it has a calming fragrance, that’s also floral and sweet. Its healing properties don’t stop at its aroma though. Used for centuries to keep biting insects away like mosquitoes, the essential oil released from lavender flowers also helps prevent infection caused by bug bites, and reduces itching and inflammation. Add a touch of lemon, and vanilla oil to make this sweet fragrance even sweeter. Good for keeping away mosquitoes, fleas, black beetles, and flies.
4. Tea Tree Oil has natural antiseptic, and antibacterial properties that speed the healing of irritated skin. You can use this oil to treat minor insect bites and keep the mosquitoes, flies and bees away. These flying annoyances can bite! And they leave behind sores that can be menacing. Use this versatile, and fragrant essential oil to keep the creatures away while you enjoy the cool summer evenings in your backyard, or while traveling as a natural bug repellent.
5. Burt’s Bees started out with just a few great products, but you can get all-natural bug repellent and ointment from Burt’s with the same quality ingredients as always. Every Burt’s Bees product contains ingredients extracted directly from plants without anything synthetic. The natural herbal scents in these products will ward off bugs, and are derived from rosemary, lemongrass, citronella oil and other essential oils that create a fragranced force field that protects you from those biting and stinging party crashers! Try Burt’s Bees Herbal Insect Repellent, and Burt’s Bees Res-Q Ointment this summer and take your time outside, without the worry or sting of those irritating insects.
Post Your Reply
Your e-mail is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *